New EQ Progression Server coming in June

This topic contains 59 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ronfar Ronfar 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Bodhi
    Bodhi

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/new-progression-server-faq-and-upcoming-poll-details.219588/&_ga=1.237806272.1966414939.1430695969

Looks like a new Progression Server is opening soon for EQ1. In case anyone doesn’t know, progression servers bring back the nostalgia by creating an environment mimicking how things were at release, then slowly releasing expansion content after a set amount of time.

If anyone is interested in putting a group together for this, let me know. I’d love to start on a fresh progression server and play like the good ‘ol days.

Profile photo of Ronfar
    Ronfar

I was wondering when a new progression server would finally happen. Thanks for the heads up.

I’ve played EQ as recently as about a year ago. Still love it, though I fear the very old school interface and mechanics would be too much for some! It took me about three or four tries of logging in once a year to finally stick with it. I’d log in, run to Old Sebilis, kill a few frogloks, then bail – until in 2013 I finally broke through and played casually for 9-12 months or so, dual boxing a SK with my original Shaman.

Unfortunately, I don’t think I’ll have the time to squeeze EQ in alongside raiding in WoW. We’ve got a new raid tier that we expect will launch early June. If circumstances change however, this type of thing is right up my ally (in that case, I’ll be dual boxing a shaman and something else).

Profile photo of Ronfar
    Ronfar

Getting more and more pumped the more I think about this.

Perhaps I can dedicate Mon/Wed/Sun gaming time to EQ!

Profile photo of Bodhi
    Bodhi

Yea it’s been a while for me, I played project99 for a while but haven’t been on Live servers in a long time, gotta think what class I will play.

Beta is currently live:

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/ragefire-beta-is-live-preview-the-new-progression-server.220154/

Also more answered questions:

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/ragefire-poll-results-and-beta-information.220107/

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of Bodhi Bodhi.
    Profile photo of Nettle
    Nettle

Curse you, Bodhi! Ronfar has had us reminiscing all week in IRC with this EQ progression server talk. :P I probably won’t have much time to devote to EQ, but I plan to give it a go and I believe Venge is on board as well. I’m probably going to go cleric this time around but if I 2-box then enchanter is a definite second!

Profile photo of Venge
    Venge

Dangit! I have more good memories from EQ than all other games combined. A lot has to do with it being the first mmo I ever really played but geesh, some fun stuff for sure…I will give it a try but now the question is…what class?!?!?!

If Nettle 2 boxes I probably will too, at least to get another toon leveled up so I could switch if needed.

My top 3 in this order right now are probably:

– Shaman
    – Monk
    – Bard

But dang we need a dedicated tank and healer for sure, its not like wow, we have to have the trinity!

Profile photo of Bodhi
    Bodhi

Haha…I know. It isn’t a great time for me in terms of being able to dedicate myself to a game, but I should have like 20 hours a week or so to play.

Well if we have a shaman and a healer which it looks like we probably do based on what people want to play, I would Tank it up if no one else wants to. Iif you two box an enc we should be good there. I’ll probably go SK to tank. Man I won’t be able to be an Iksar!!!!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of Bodhi Bodhi.
    Profile photo of Ronfar
    Ronfar

Apparently unless Daybreak (the studio that was once SoE) decides to make some big changes they have said on the record they are not planning on, a few things are going to be exceptionally unbalanced.

Mage pets will (on their own) out-DPS virtually anyone, along with being nice and tanky. Other pets will be very OP as well, just not nearly to the extent as Mage Elementals. Looking forward to Dogdog being able to wreck stuff, but sucks that a boxed Mage will do the DPS of a rogue and ranger being mained put together.

Using fist weapons will be stronger than any weapon for a long time. This makes monks extremely OP, though not to the extent of Mages. It also means that for dual-wielding melee classes, using bare fists will be better than ANY WEAPON AVAILABLE IN CLASSIC, and most in Kunark. Basically, Rogues/Warriors/Rangers (and Monks, duh) will be fighting unarmed until Velious (1 year+), earning the Ragefire server the nickname, “Ragefist”.

While this means the server is going to be broken as hell from a balance perspective, there’s still a heck of a lot of awesome nostalgia to be had. If we make this happen, I’ll throw together a Shaman + something combo. Leaning towards Shaman/Mage currently so I can just send my pets in, slow mob(s) and be really OP for a year+.

Profile photo of Ronfar
    Ronfar

Also if you’re planning on an SK tank Bodhi, consider going Ogre for frontal stun immunity. Mobs bash tanks a LOT, and it is really annoying!

Profile photo of Raztog
    Raztog

You guys are killing me! Ron whats involved with 2 boxing? just using follow and buff bot or are their full scripts/triggers useable?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of Raztog Raztog.
    Profile photo of Ronfar
    Ronfar

The pace of EQ combat is much slower than modern MMOs Raz. Depending on class you should be able to play two pretty effectively simply by alt-tabbing, three if your pro (using auto-follow for running around). Unfortunately each account is going to require a sub, so probably don’t want to play more than two without it being expensive!

One of my RL buddies used to three box Rogue/Enchanter/Cleric, and while none of the three was as quite effective as someone playing a single character, I’d estimate he got about 85-90% value out of each once he had a fair amount of practice.

Profile photo of Ronfar
    Ronfar

Also, it appears the server is going to open Wednesday, May 20th. Much sooner than expected.

Profile photo of Venge
    Venge

Man that sucks about the balance issues!!!

You don’t they are going to fix this? I have to imagine people are complaining!

It will be hard for me to create a new toon and it NOT be a shaman just because I remember how bad ass he was when I was playing him years ago…and my monk I loved too…but damn a bard is bad ass too!!!!!

I had forgotten there was a ranger too, they were pretty good and good melee as well.

I am looking forward to at least messing around a bit and seeing how it holds my interest but I sure hope they fix the issues Ron mentioned.

Profile photo of Ronfar
    Ronfar

AFAIK those issues are not getting fixed. People have been complaining for some time, but they claim they can’t fix the issues without breaking live or putting too much strain on the progression server by it having to perform additional CPU operations on every combat roll.

Shaman pets are going to do way more damage than they should, just not nearly as much as Mage pets which are thoroughly OP. Shamans really don’t hit their stride until Kunark – no Torpor/Malo/Rez, etc. for a long time will be a bit painful, but like you say I can’t imagine maining anything else.

Monks should be OP for quite a while. Rangers will be bare fisted mediocrity for some time, until they become strong ranged DPS in PoP with Endless Quiver. Bards should basically always be good since they make everyone else so much better – I believe the /melody command should be in game on the progression server which will make them a lot less tedious to play. No more carpal tunnel, just set up a sequence of songs and have it automatically twist them for you.

Profile photo of Bodhi
    Bodhi

Yea who knows about fixes. To fix the unarmed dps issue, they would have to change underlying code that would present a lot of other issues they’ve stated. Guess you never know…but with a 5/20 release probably not getting changed.

Ogre SK most definitely. Even though I really love Monk

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.